Sunday, March 23, 2014

LIQS Show

This was a big quilting weekend for us on Long Island.   The Long Island Quilters Society holds a huge quilt show every two years, and because I taught a workshop for them in January, I was in the loop enough to fill out the forms and submit my quilts on time this year. 
I went yesterday morning and saw the show with Eri.  It is held at the Garden City Field House Gymnasium which is big airy space.  Everything felt fresh, bright and beautiful. Promise that spring is on the way.  I was very happy that Travel Quilt #3 took two ribbons-- Best in class for Piecework, and 1st place for commercially quilted in its size category.  (That's completely Shannon's fault!  thank you!). 
It's only recently that I became interested in entering my quilts to be judged.  Winning a ribbon is pretty cool, but I have always been a little anti-establishment when it comes to the "proper" way to make a quilt.  I still feel that I made the quilts for me, and I want to share what I've made with a larger audience.  If a judge likes or doesn't like it, that's fine.  It's my quilt, I won't be ashamed of that.  So tonight when I go to pick them up, I'm curious to read the judge's comments.  I don't know if it will change anything about how I make my next quilt, but it's interesting to get feedback nonetheless. 
Here are some of my favorites from the show.  Quilt maker info is on each pic. 


As Eri and I were walking around, I thought about why I love these quilts, scrap quilts.  When I saw the Cathedral Windows below, it hit me.. I like to look closely and see if I have any of the same fabrics.
 (Btw, this quilt was hung behind a guild booth, without any identifying information. If you know who made it, please let me know!!)
I thought about the quilts I have been making, and the ones I'm planning to start or work on soon.. I think I've been getting distracted by what others have been doing again (bad, bad Instagram!), and I want to find time to get back to some of the projects that really spoke to me.  I've also got a bit of gift sewing I want to finish this spring too.  Hope I'll find time for all of it.
Anyway, here is my finished Travel Quilt #2.  Completely me.  No ribbons, but I still love it.  Made between 2007-2014, there's a whole lot of my life in there.  (the border does go all the way around, but the hanging sleeve is placed 88" from the bottom, as per the show requirements)

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations for winning those ribbons! I am starting a quilt with diamonds following your directions. Can you point me out some place where you tell how you do the border? Do you applique the border of the paper pieced quilt onto the border fabric? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gra~
      The best instructions for how to do the border are in the book, of course. I remove the templates, press the edge, hand baste it to the border, and then machine top stitch it down. It takes time to measure it correctly, but I like the results. I'd love to see pictures of what you're working on. Hope you link up to the Star Count on Mondays!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! Both of your quilts look fantastic. I have never submitted my quilts to a judge's scrutiny. I admire your courage. But mostly I admire your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nifty~
      I must say, this time the judge's comments left me wanting.. I know they are busy viewing each quilt, but I was expecting more specific comments, either positive or negative, and what I got was a little vague. I'm thinking about doing a post specifically on what they said, but I'm not sure how to word my thoughts yet..

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the well deserved ribbons! It looks like a wonderful show! I would so look to see if I had the same fabrics too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats. I have been thinking about starting a quilt for Quiltcon. I made for the Pantone Radiant Orchid Quilt contest and I was very happy with how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilts! I'm sorry I missed it... congratulations on the ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw your quilts, I was thrilled to see everyone enjoying reading about your travels. Congratulations on your ribbons! And thank you for showing them for all us quilt lovers.

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...