Friday, May 9, 2014

Happy Birthday Mom!

It's been a while, so I'm making my mom a new quilt.
 Big bear's paws in shades of white on a creamy yellow woven background.  The centers of each "paw" were bee blocks from my month in the 15 Minutes Play bee from 2011(!).  This quilt was started shortly after but shelved when I got tired of trimming the triangles, or maybe because bigger projects like finishing grad school, starting to teach again, and then writing a book just ate up all of my time. 
They say time flies once you have kids, and I didn't believe it at first, but now.. woah.  I'm glad I asked the bee participants to date their blocks, and I'm even more glad that they finally made it into a finished quilt top, albeit 3+ years later.

I wonder how my mom feels.  Today is her birthday and while today I can't imagine being her age, I'm  sure it will be here before I know it.  Mom, I'm sorry we're not together today, but we'll be there for a visit very very soon.  Fingers crossed that this is quilted and bound by then.  Happy Birthday!!!

10 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous and a great way to use those blocks. I love bear paws and the yellow looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the modern look of these bear paws. And what a sweet blog post to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, Jessica! I even recognize a scrap or two. She will LOVE it, I'm sure. BTW, Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy quilt for your mom! She will be very glad to have you deliver it in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your birthday present to Mom and it is nice to see something so improvisational and modern. Can't wait to see the quilting and binding for a 2014 finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the low volume fabric and the pop of the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The centers on these blocks are gorgeous, and the combination of colours are so calmy and relaxing!!! A nice gift for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yellow Quilt and Orange haired child combining mom's two favorite colors!!!

    Seriously though she is going to LOVE it!!

    Cant wait to see you and the boys.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I have a slab of low volume scraps that I didn't know what I was going to do with. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the scrappy squares! Beautiful! His has your mother been doing?

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...